Spring is a really exciting time at Holly Tree Nursery Pre school, the weather is warming up meaning outside activities are plentiful. Also the older children are starting to look forward to ‘big school’ in September.
The transition from pre school to primary school is a big change for any child, at Holly Tree we work hard to help make this transition as smooth as possible helping children gain the skills they’ll need when they start school.
Working within the Early Years Foundation Stage Framework we nurture children towards targets with a view to them starting school in September. The Holly Tree Pre-School and Trackers building has been custom designed to provide a bright, colourful and stimulating environment for all pre-school children, this in itself is a great way to get used to a more formal school environment.
All children develop at different speeds, some are quicker at communication others more artistic, so don’t worry if your child isn’t as proficient at some things than others they almost always catch up.
Here are a few things parents can focus on to help children get ready for big school
- Feeding themselves, knife and fork practice is essential
- If your child can’t use the toilet it’s important that they learn before starting school
- Getting dressed on their own will be something they’ll need to master
- Spend time helping them write there own name.
- Work with them on recognising the alphabet.
- Sing songs together, encourage them to recite one themselves.
- Introduce them to computers, mouse skills and how they are able to move the cursor on a screen are useful skills for school.
- Encourage sharing with other people
- Knowing that other people can feel hurt or upset important and that hitting is wrong.
- Joining in activities with other children – taking part is an important part of school life.
- Completing tasks alone with little supervision takes some practice but is a great skill to have before starting school.
- Develop skills to concentrate for longer periods on one thing.
These are just 12 points that parents can work with children on. At Holly Tree Childrens Nursery we work alongside parents, schools and educational professionals to provide children with as many skills as they need before starting school.
If you would like more information about Holly Tree Childrens Nursery get in touch today.